Friday, February 3, 2006

Right you are Ken!

The following story proves that you actually CAN buy happiness; and at Wal-Mart no less. Like most American homes, the central figure in our living room is a beautiful, silver 27-inch television. Now, at the beginning of the year, I made it quite clear to the two other people I live with that Thursday nights at 8pm will be solely dedicated to "My Name is Earl" and "The Office". One hour of must see TV is all I ask.

Things were going swimmingly until one fateful Thursday night when I had to endure perpetual channel surfing between "Dancing with the Stars", one of the many CSI derivatives (doesn’t matter which one, they're all the same), and the two shows I had officially staked my claim on. It is rather hard to enjoy oneself when your teeth are clenched in frustration while being forced to watch fake-tanned-to-the-point-of-new-species has-beens anxiously wait for judges to score their hideous attempt at a rumba while "My Name is Earl" has surely been back from commercial for at least 45 seconds! Now, lest you think I am overreacting, I had to endure all this AND people who have clearly never heard of the "do not talk to me under any circumstances during 'My Name is Earl'" rule. Having to endure watching one's favorite shows under the above circumstances is just too much to ask of someone living with people I barely know yet still has to clean up after!

I knew I had to take immediate action. Now, I have learned after living with strangers for much of my adult life that a confrontation about who gets to be couch commando over a TV that is in a clearly designated community zone can get ugly.

MXC Rocks! This guy got eliminated!So instead of explaining to my roommate how no one wants to watch the “Ellen Degeneres Show” she had taped (taped!) earlier that day instead of, say, “MXC: Most Extreme Elimination Challenge”, I went straight to the store and spent $140 on my own TV. Last night as I was enjoying watching Jason Lee and John Krasinsky in the comfort and quiet of my own room with some Diet Coke, taquitos and Twix, my only thought was that it was completely, absolutely, without a doubt, worth every penny.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home